You might have thought that a bunch of ageing Pears had seen their finest day, but Merrow were shown the biggest demolition job in their recent history. We won by 163 runs, scoring 270 all out from 34.3 overs, and had them at 107-9 from their 35 overs.
The sweet smell of victory at last!
The team was made up of five elderly types, three 16/17/18 yr olds, and three 13/14 yr olds….due to two of the youngsters needing to leave we then managed to sub on an 11 and 9 yr old for the latter overs! Talk about developing youth, shortly we’ll be needing midwives on the boundary!
1. Three new debutants – Ben Way, Charlie Bridgewater, Matt Cooper (welcome)
2. Tipping S – a fine 62 from opener, including 11x4s
3. Reed T – a powerful 80 retired, 13×4 and a 6
4. Mitchell T – an athletic 52 retired, 6×4, and many 1s 2s and even a 3, proving age does not wither the true sprinter!
5. Rousham O – a steady 26
6. Cooper M – some power boundaries at the end for 18.
7. After dropping four dolly catches…..an opposition fielder called 118….due to his lanky hair, tash and headband, managed to claim Reed W’s wicket first ball! In the scorebook forever is Will Reed, Caught 118, Bowled Jones😄
8. Astonishing C&B by Rousham W
9. Diving catch by Mitchell T
10. Single wickets for Tipping R, Reed T, Rousham O and Bridgewater C.
11. Three, 3, III, drei, trois…..wickets for Tipping S
12. Throughout the game, Chairman Reed studied form and plotted his selection for two weeks time, egged on by Jonathan G, still paranoid about not being the last boy on the playground wall!
So onwards from glory, to something likely to be more gory…